Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Eco-Kitchen Challenge

The Eco-Kitchen Challenge from the Wall Street Journal. Great read showing the challenges of making a Kitchen Green. On finding materials that is not giving out all sorts of nasty chemicals, to items that are energy efficient, to items made with renewable materials.

An example I have had personally is trying to figure out which Fluorescent Ballast uses electronic verses a magnetic driver. The electronic is a lot quieter and more efficient. Last time I looked at Home Depot I could not figure it out, and I worked 10 years as an Electronics Engineer!

The chemicals that are released by products is another headache (literally). I believe it will get easier and easier to build using eco friendly materials. There is going to be a period of Green Wash and marketing hype that will add to the challenges.

No comments: