Thursday, September 4, 2008

DALI, Cedia, and Standards

I stopped by a Lighting booth for a mfg, I won't write their name to they avoid the embarassment. I asked about Dali, and they said it was used on some commercial equipment, and it was overkill for consumer stuff. And the person I spoke with had no idea about the lighting market in Europe.

First reaction - wow! Future Road Kill...

1. The lighting industry in the US is still into their proprietary methods, instead of open standards.
2. Silicon to do Dali is cheap! The excuse on cost is just that.
3. The company is just throwing away a longer term opportunity for home automation.
4. When Apple finally gets a real home controller (music, video, lights) the companies that are not ready for that, like the one I spoke with, will be roadkill.
5. I hope Apple does this soon! It's still a major challenge to create a smart house.

No comments: